Travelling by yourself to any city can be very rewarding, but can also sometimes be a daunting experience, especially for any women travelling alone. On the plus side you can do exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it. You can visit the attractions that interest you and eat where you fancy. Often when you are travelling by yourself you get to mingle and chat with people that you wouldn’t if you were travelling with a partner, family or friends. Best of all you get to go home with stories, knowledge and plenty of photos that you can share with others.
Bristol really is a safe city. In a recent OnePoll.com survey is came second to Edinburgh in a poll of cities where people feel safe to live. Bristol is well known for its diversity and independent spirit. It celebrates many nationalities and also has a thriving LGBT community, so visitors find it a very welcoming place to visit. Despite this we have put together top tips for travelling alone and for solo female travel:
- Prepare – this is great advice for everyone. Whether you are visiting Bristol for business or pleasure, do a bit of homework first. Check out all the attractions the city has to offer, and make a plan for where and when you are going to visit them. You want to enjoy your precious time away enjoying the sites, not stuck to your phone working out where to go next.
- Think about where you want to stay. Cleyro Serviced Apartments have a great selection of luxury serviced apartments right in the heart of the city. Not only are they well located, but they offer guests great peace of mind with a selection of thoughtful security features. Better still they won’t cost you the earth!
- Book somewhere with multiple good ratings not just one or two reviews as these can often be somewhat skewed and therefore misleading.
- Arrange to meet up with friends. If you know someone in the area, arrange a catch up with them. Not only can you make use of their local knowledge, but it is a great way of keeping in touch with people and rekindling friendships!
- Take a walk – explore your local neighbourhood on foot. Have a wander around and check out the local shops and sights. You might find a great deli, coffee shop or bar right on your doorstep.
- Arrange an activity – plan a visit to a museum or an attraction, so you get to learn something about Bristol and the local history. You won’t be disappointed! Here are some of our own personal Cleryo’s recommendations.
- Don’t be afraid to eat alone in a restaurant – if you want to engage with people, opt to sit at a bar and chat to the staff. Alternatively bring something to do. Enjoy the time to catch up with a book, a magazine or a guide book even, or if social media is your thing, spend the time sorting out any photos you have just taken keeping everyone posted!
- Try the local food – Bristol has a great choice of independent restaurants and markets where you can not only experience great food, but a wonderful atmosphere too. Here are some of Cleyro’s favourite Bristol restaurants.
- Don’t forget some downtime – travelling by yourself can be tiring and you might not want to eat every meal out, so make sure you enjoy a bit of downtime too. All of our Cleyro serviced apartments come with free WiFi internet and flat screen TVs and fully equipped kitchen. You can prepare a meal, of get yourself some snacks and can chill out with a movie while you recharge your batteries!
- Take public transport, or take a ferry or hire a bike - It’s as much about the journey as reaching your destination
- Don’t plan every second and take the time to talk to people – relax and enjoy the moment. Chat to the locals as you might find a nugget of information and a recommendation that makes for a memorable experience.
Some extra safety tips for travelling alone, for women travelling alone, or anyone who might feel vulnerable:
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are going out for the day, have a plan of where you are going to visit. Make a note of place names and landmarks you can use to orient yourself around a city you are visiting for the first time. Bristol has the river Avon and the Bristol Docks running right through the centre so this is a great way to work out where you are. Bristol Cathedral, the M-Shed, Bristol Planetarium, the Cabot Tower and colourful houses at Redcliffe are all notable landmarks that will help you to find your way around.
- Keep your friends and family updated – keep in touch with loved ones so they know your plans and where you are going.
- Bring a spare battery pack for your phone – it is easy to drain your battery especially when you are researching places on your phone or using a mapping tool. Travel with a spare battery pack and charging cable, so you don’t get caught out in a strange area with no battery charge.
- Don’t be careless – don’t travel with expensive equipment unless you need to and keep your belongings safe and zipped up. It is easy to leave a bag on public transport when you are focused on getting off at the right location.
- Don’t let yourself be a target – do allow yourself a drink, but avoid getting drunk as this can make you especially vulnerable when you are travelling by yourself. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable, stick with your gut instinct and inform someone, or move to somewhere where you feel safer.
Cleyro Serviced Apartments – a great service with solo female travel in mind!Here at Cleyro Serviced Apartments we take everyone’s safety seriously, especially women travelling alone.
- Cleyro Serviced Apartments are located in a safe area with good public transport and access routes nearby.
- Cleyro has 24 hour on site security.
- Cleyro never locate solo female travellers on the ground floor.
- All our rooms have a video intercom system, so you can see who is arriving or let deliveries in without going outside even.
- Cleyro offer a meet and greet service. We will show you to your room and make sure you feel secure and know where you are going during your stay. We are on hand 24/7 to contact should you need any help or advice during your stay.
Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash